Periodontal Plastic Surgery in Wooster and Medina OH
Patients are often concerned about the appearance and health of their smiles when too much gum tissue is present in the mouth. Procedures known as periodontal plastic surgery can be performed to correct this condition. Dr. Matia and Dr. Lemke are leading periodontists in the Medina region who make smiles beautiful every day with periodontal plastic surgery for the gums.
Esthetic Crown Lengthening
Also known as a gum lift, esthetic crown lengthening, is a common cosmetic procedure that patients often have to improve a “gummy" looking smile. Our doctor can perform this technique in about one hour. It works by taking away some of the gum tissue and bone to make more of the natural tooth or teeth more visible.
Esthetic crown lengthening is also often recommended for preventing gum disease symptoms. Too much gum tissue can be a health problem. By exposing more of the tooth surface, significant gum pocket depth is less likely to occur and collect bacteria, which is one the most common gum disease symptoms.
- A local anesthetic is applied to numb the gum tissues.
- Small cuts are made in the gums to remove the tissue away from the teeth.
- A bit of bone may also be removed so the smile looks normal.
- Our doctor then cleans and sterilizes the gums, places stitches, and then bandages the treatment site so that the gums are protected as they reattach to the teeth and heal.
- Our doctor will want to see you about two weeks following your surgery to check the healing process.
If you are not happy with the way your smile looks or just want to avoid gum disease symptoms, we can help by providing periodontal plastic surgery.